All Answers

What is Real ID

What is Real ID?

REAL ID is a nationwide effort to improve the integrity and security of State-issued driver licenses and identification cards, which in turn will help fight terrorism and reduce fraud. After the September 11th tragedy when terrorists had valid licenses, but were not here legally, the federal government took a hard look at the entire process.  The changes are designed to make the driver license and id cards we issue more secure.

What is a SR22 and FR44 and how long do you have to carry them?

How long do I have to carry a SR22 or FR44?

An SR-22 is a form that certifies the insurance coverage includes bodily injury liability (BIL) and property damage liability (PDL). An SR-22 is required for three years as the result of a Point Suspension, Habitual Traffic Revocation, Judgement involving a crash, or if you were the owner or operator of a vehicle that was involved in a crash and someone incurred injuries and you were not insured with BIL coverage at the time.

Voter Registration

How do I apply for voter registration?

You can apply for voter registration while at the driver license office. A driver license examiner will ask you if you would like to apply for voter registration, change your address or party affiliation and provide you with an application of registration or changes at the time you receive your license. Your voter registration application is then forwarded to your local county supervisor of elections office. Your official registration card will be mailed later from your local supervisor of elections office.

Voter registration address

Does the address on my driver license have to match the address in the voter registration record in order to be able to vote?

The address on the driver license does not need to match the address in the voter registration record. If you have moved and haven’t changed your driver license to reflect your new address, that’s okay. The purpose of presenting the driver license is to verify the photo of the individual, not the address. What is important is that you vote in the precinct where you currently live, no matter what your driver license says.

Veterans Designation on FL Driver License

How do I get Veteran's Designation on my license?

Starting July 11, 2011, Veterans who live in Florida can add a Veteran designation to their Florida driver license (DL) or identification card (ID card) for a one-time fee.  The Veteran designation ,"V", is placed on the bottom right corner of the card and can be used to show proof of status for discounts at participating merchants.

Vehicle Stored in Florida

I am in the military assigned out-of-state and my vehicle will be stored in Florida until I return. Must I maintain my Florida insurance policy?

Yes. As long as the vehicle remains in Florida with a valid tag and registration you will be required to maintain Florida coverage. If you do not want to maintain the Florida insurance, you must surrender your tag and registration to the nearest Florida driver license office or tag agency until you return to Florida.

Unsafe Drivers

How do I report an unsafe driver?  My Dad should not be driving due to his medical condition. 

Anyone can report an unsafe driver.  We frequently receive information from law enforcement and physicians, but individuals can report them as well.  You must complete the form and sign it--your name will remain confidential.

Transfer of Title

How do I transfer my title to someone else?

In order to process a Transfer of Florida Certificate of Title, the customer must provide the following:

A. The “Transfer of Title by Seller” section on the Florida Certificate of Title must be completed in full with printed name(s) and signature(s) for each seller and each purchaser.

B. Form HSMV 82040, Application for Certificate of Title with/without Registration, accurately completed

Toll violations

How do I pay or dispute a toll violation?

Contact the Toll Authority that issued the invoice.

  • Sun Pass at F-DOT 888-824-8655 or 888-865-5352

  • Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFX) 407-690-5200

  • Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority (THEA) 888-824-8655

    • THEA Collections 877-258-5205

    • THEA website

  • LeeWay at County-DOT (LW) 239-533-9297

  • Miami-Dade Expressway Authority (MDX) 855-277-0848

  • MDX Website