All Answers

How can I avoid points?

I just got a ticket, can I go to school to avoid points?

Enter your Florida driver license number on our Driver License Check to see if you are eligible to take a driving school. You can only elect to go to school once within any 12 month period and no more than five times in your life time.

Grace Period for driver license or registration

Is there a grace period for renewal of driver license/ID cards or vehicle registrations?

No.  There is no grace period for either.

The driver license or ID card expires at midnight on your birthday. 

For vehicles owned by a person(s), the vehicle registration expires at midnight on the birthday of the first person listed on the registration or title. 

For motor vehicles owned by a company or for a "short term rental vehicle," the expiration date is June 30 each year.

Gender Reassignment

I am currently or will be undergoing gender reassignment, and would like to have my gender changed on my driver license or identification card. How can I do this?

A customer requesting a gender different from what appears on the driver license or identification card must provide a signed original statement, on office letterhead, from the attending medical physician (internist, endocrinologist, gynecologist, urologist or psychiatrist). This medical certification must include all of the following items:

Found a Driver License or ID Card

I found a driver license or identification card that someone lost.  Who do I send it to?

Please cut the card in half and mail to the following address:

Dept of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles
Bureau of Motorist Compliance
2900 Apalachee Parkway MS 87
Tallahassee, Florida  32399

Who needs to get a Florida driver license

I'll only be living in Florida for a few years, am I required to get a Florida driver license or ID card?


1. If you move to Florida and have a valid license from another state, you must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

  • Enroll your children in public school, or

  • Register to vote, or

  • File for a homestead exemption, or

  • Accept employment, or

Emergency Contact Information

How can I register emergency contact information?

We encourage Floridians to plan ahead in the event of a serious accident by registering their emergency contact information.  By registering your emergency contact information for use by Florida law enforcement agencies, it helps ensure that your loved ones can be informed as soon as possible. The information is only available to law enforcement in the event of an emergency.  There is no cost to register your information. 

Driver License Holder is Deceased

How do I advise your department that a family member has passed away?

In order for us to update and insure the accuracy of our records, we need a copy of the death certificate. Please mail it to the following address:

Motorist Services
2900 Apalachee Parkway MS 91
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0575

If you have the Florida driver license, please cut it in half and enclose in the envelope with the death certificate.

Do I have an electronic lien?

How can I check online to see if my lien is electronic?

As of 01/01/13, Florida switched to being a full electronic state. However, just because a title status is shown as electronic does not mean the lienholder will automatically be an electronic participant.

In order to check the lien, please click here to visit our Motor Vehicle Check online. Look below Net Weight, and the next line will show either electronic title or electronic title with lien.

Deceptive/Misleading Websites

I thought I was on your official GoRenew site, but realize now after being charged an unnecessary fee the website was not affiliated with DHSMV.  Is this legal?

Click here for a press release regarding deceptive websites that pretend to be the official DHSMV website.

Dealer Licensing Requirements

What are the licensing requirements to become a Florida Motor Vehicle Dealer?

If you are considering becoming a dealer of motor vehicles, mobile homes or recreational vehicles, you must be licensed by the state of Florida. Please click here to obtain information on becoming a motor vehicle, mobile home or recreational vehicle dealer.