Out of state student vehicle insurance

I am a Florida resident who has a vehicle registered in Florida but I am a student attending school in another state. Am I required to have Florida automobile insurance?

If the vehicle has a valid Florida tag and registration, you must have Florida insurance coverage on the vehicle. If the vehicle is going to be continuously maintained/garaged in another state, you must talk to your insurance agent. Many insurance companies will only write coverage for the state of residence, where the car is expected to be maintained/garaged. Your Florida coverage may not be valid if they found that the vehicle is primarily maintained/garaged in another state. If you intend to stay in that state for three or four years, you may have to transfer your registration and insurance to that state. Your agent can help you with these questions.

Did you find this article helpful? Click thumbs up or thumbs down to help us improve our information.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

You can try asking another question or browsing our answers by category.  Some "related answers" may appear below which fit into the same category as this question and may provide additional information.