Register vehicle in Florida

How do I register my vehicle in Florida?

In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.

If you need to register your vehicle in Florida, you must provide the following to any tax collector's office:

A.  Proof of Ownership

The Florida Certificate of Title must be in the name of the customer applying for registration or their application for a Florida Certificate of Title must be submitted with proper proof of ownership.

B.  Proof of Insurance

1. Proof of Florida insurance is required unless registering any self-propelled vehicle with less than four wheels, trailer, mobile home, motorcycle, or limousine for-hire.

2. Active military members and their spouse, who are a Florida resident stationed out of state, and are the owner or co-owner of a vehicle, are exempt from having Florida insurance if the vehicle is located out of state.  You will be required to submit proof of insurance from that state.

C.  Pay applicable registration fees.  (See page 4 for calculation of fees and check list.)

You will title and register the vehicle at your local tax collector's office, who is your best source for questions about title and registration,  find their contact information here.
More information about registering your vehicle can be found on our website.


My son is taking his father’s car to Florida to drive while he’s in school.  Can my son register the vehicle in Florida when the title remains out of state?

No. If your son wants to register the vehicle in Florida, he will be required to title it in Florida.


A "Registration Only" registration may be issued only under the following circumstances:


  • A title is not allowed on a trailer less than 2,000 pounds or on mopeds. A copy of the MCO and/or a bill of sale, showing chain of ownership, is required for a moped or any trailer having a net weight of less than 2,000 pounds. The bill of sale must show at least the make and year. NOTE: When the vehicle is a used trailer (homemade or manufactured) having a net weight of less than 2,000 pounds, a bill of sale and the previous owner's license plate number is required. If the used trailer (homemade or manufactured) has never been registered in Florida, a certified weight slip is also required.


  • A Motor Vehicle title is being held by an out-of-state lienholder or lessor.  The following must be submitted for verification from an out-of-state lienholder: A letter on letterhead stationery from the lienholder, which indicates there is an outstanding lien on the described vehicle. The year, make and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle must also be included in the letter. A fax copy of the letter is acceptable. A copy of the out-of-state title that shows the out-of-state lien information, unless the out-of-state certificate of title is electronic. In this case, the letter on letterhead stationery from the lienholder must state that fact.


  • Temporarily employed in this state. A 90-day Temporarily Employed license plate must be issued. You need to provide a copy of your current or valid out-of-state registration. An affidavit from you or your employer stating that you are temporarily employed in Florida.


  • A nonresident military member is temporarily assigned to this state and requests a license plate, but does not apply for a Florida title. To register your vehicle you must provide a copy of the military orders assigning you to a Florida military duty station and a copy of your out of state driver license. A copy of the current or valid out-of-state registration.



  • NOTE: License plate fees are based on the weight of the vehicle; therefore, we cannot provide you with this fee. Please use the License Plate Rate Chart to figure the fees for the Florida license plate. The bottom of the License Plate Rate Chart should be used to make sure that the necessary documentation and fees are being submitted. The $225 initial registration fee will also be due if you do not have a Florida license plate to transfer. The required documentation and fees should be taken to a tag agency where the vehicle will be in Florida for processing.


Click here for instructions on titling and registering your vehicle in Florida.

Did you find this article helpful? Click thumbs up or thumbs down to help us improve our information.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

You can try asking another question or browsing our answers by category.  Some "related answers" may appear below which fit into the same category as this question and may provide additional information.