Scooters, Mopeds and Motorized Bicycles

Do I need a motorcycle endorsement and driver license to ride a scooter, moped or motorized bicycle? And does it have to be registered?

Mopeds, scooters, motorized bicycles and other two or three wheel motor vehicles that are 50 cc or less are not motorcycles by legal definition, so a motorcycle endorsement is not required.

However, they are a motor vehicle, so to operate them on streets and roadways, you must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator's license (Class E) or "Motorcycle Only" driver license.
Mopeds, motorized bicycles and gas powered scooters are not to be operated with a Learner’s license, regardless of age.

A helmet is not required for the operator riding a moped, motorized bicycle or scooter. Any passenger under 16 years old must wear a helmet.

Please review our website for title and registration information. Your local tax collector is an excellent source for questions about title and registration, find their contact information here.

Did you find this article helpful? Click thumbs up or thumbs down to help us improve our information.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

You can try asking another question or browsing our answers by category.  Some "related answers" may appear below which fit into the same category as this question and may provide additional information.