What is a SR22 and FR44 and how long do you have to carry them?

How long do I have to carry a SR22 or FR44?

An SR-22 is a form that certifies the insurance coverage includes bodily injury liability (BIL) and property damage liability (PDL). An SR-22 is required for three years as the result of a Point Suspension, Habitual Traffic Revocation, Judgement involving a crash, or if you were the owner or operator of a vehicle that was involved in a crash and someone incurred injuries and you were not insured with BIL coverage at the time.

A six-months non-cancellable SR-22 is required if an owner/registrant of a vehicle receives a ticket for operating a vehicle without proof of insurance and is found guilty. The law requires that proof of financial responsibility provide for the following coverage:
$10,000 (PIP) for personal injury protection per occurrence.
$10,000 (PDL) for damage of property of others per occurrence, or $30,000 (CSL) combined single limits per occurrence.
The "Six-month non cancellable SR22" is required for two years .

An FR-44 is required in cases where a person has been convicted for driving under the influence. The FR-44 shows proof the person has now purchased  increased BIL /PDL insurance coverage of $100K/300K/50K.  FR-44 filings are required for three years from the original suspension date.

If you are required to carry an SR-22 or FR-44, you will need to contact your insurance agent or company.  In most cases, the insurance company will electronically submit the SR-22 for FR-44 filing to our department. Please allow up to 48 hours for the SR22 or FR44 to update to your driver history.  Your insurance company can advise you when they electronically submitted the filing. We are working on enhancements that will improve this process. Otherwise, you will need to mail the actual SR-22 or FR-44 filing to our department or present the filing at your local driver license office.  We do not accept faxed copies in the driver license offices.   If your SR-22 or FR-44 was cancelled and you have purchased a new one, you may owe a reinstatement fee along with presenting the new SR-22 or FR-44 Form.  Click here to check the status of your driving privilege.

Did you find this article helpful? Click thumbs up or thumbs down to help us improve our information.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

You can try asking another question or browsing our answers by category.  Some "related answers" may appear below which fit into the same category as this question and may provide additional information.