This listing shows all answers tagged with a category of "title"

Can a title be issued in the name if a minor?

Can a title be issued in the name if a minor?

Yes. There is no statutory age limit of ownership of a motor vehicle, mobile home, or vessel.

The following is a list of those authorized to sign the application for certificate of title for the minor (under 18 years of age).

  • The minor.
  • The minor’s natural guardian.
  • The minor’s appointed guardian. The letters of guardianship must be submitted with the application.

How to Title and Register Your Vehicle

To issue a Florida Certificate of Title for a motor vehicle, submit to the Florida tax collector's office: Proof of Ownership: The proof of ownership on a USED motor vehicle or mobile home from out of state is the certificate of title from that state. If there is a lien on the vehicle, you must make arrangements with your finance company to change the out-of-state title to a Florida title. If the finance company does not agree to release the title, you will need a copy of the title and a letter on their letterhead stating the title will not be released.

Transfer of Title

How do I transfer my title to someone else?

In order to process a Transfer of Florida Certificate of Title, the customer must provide the following:

A. The “Transfer of Title by Seller” section on the Florida Certificate of Title must be completed in full with printed name(s) and signature(s) for each seller and each purchaser.

B. Form HSMV 82040, Application for Certificate of Title with/without Registration, accurately completed

Title Error

I recently received my title in the mail and it was blank or had misprinted information on it, how do I get a corrected title?

Remove someone else from a Florida Title

How do I remove someone from a Florida title?

First, is there a lien on the vehicle?  If there is lien, you have to get permission from the lienholder to remove the other person.  If the lienholder does not allow the removal of an owner, there is no way to do this. If they do authorize the transfer, the lienholder will most likely mail the title to your tax collector's office.  In some instances, the lienholder may mail the title to you.

Out-of-State Electronic Title

Can I transfer my out-of-state electronic title to a Florida electronic title?

At this time, Florida does not have an electronic state-to-state title transfer. If your current out-of-state title is electronic, the lienholder must request a paper title in order for the vehicle to be titled and registered in Florida.  If there is no lien, you must request a paper title in order to title and register in Florida.

Original Certificate of Title

How do I title my motor vehicle, mobile home, or vessel in Florida?

To successfully issue a Florida Certificate of Title for a new or used motor vehicle, mobile home, or vessel purchased in or outside of Florida, the following documentation should be submitted to the tax collector's office.

A. Proof of Ownership